Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Who said carrots help you see in the dark? Bilberries, please
The first time that people made a link between bilberry consumption and eye health was in World War II, when pilots began to eat bilberry jam before night time missions - claiming that it helped them see better in the dark.
Since then, scientists have examined the benefits of bilberry and eye health, and those in the know take advantage of what bilberries can do for their eyes.
Originally in herb form, bilberry is much like a blueberry in appearance.
However, it is now most commonly and easily taken in capsule form.
"Night vision is improved because the anthocyanidins found in bilberries boost the production of a pigment that helps the eyes to adapt to lighting changes," said specialist Pamela Gentry.
These antioxidants are thought to be even more powerful than the ones found in Vitamin E and Vitamin C.
They strengthen the capillaries in the eye which in turn improve our vision.
It is thought that bilberry can help with common eye infections such as conjunctivitis.
The herb has anti-inflammatory properties which assist quick recovery from infections that cause swollen eyelids.
"Bilberry extract has been suggested as a treatment for retinal damage as it contains bioflavonoids, which aid in removing toxic chemicals from the eye," Ms Gentry said.
According to the Eye Health Centre, bilberries could help prevent cataracts.
Bilberry "protects against various visual disturbances such as glaucoma by maintaining blood vessel integrity in the eyes [and it] reduces the visually debilitating occurrence of commonly occurring cataracts by stabilizing connective tissue in the eye," it explained.
Older people are encouraged to take bilberry as a preventative medicine as they are more likely to suffer cataracts than the younger generation.
In addition, bilberry is also thought to support general circulation in the body and oxygenation of tissues.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks