Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Wow! The wonders of watercress
Far more than simply a peppery treat to spice up a salad, watercress really is a wonder.
An affordable and healthy option, it's possible to grow this green delight at home, but of course you will be used to seeing it lining the produce aisles of supermarkets up and down the land, either sold alone or sometimes as part of a tasty salad mix, so if you're not green fingered, that certainly doesn't mean you can't add some of this green and healthy food to your plate!
If you've yet to try watercress, what are you waiting for? Though it is a little stronger tasting than some salad leaves, and so might well appeal to those who like a peppery twist to their salad, it's certainly something that many people love - and others could well find they grow to love over time.
Valuable vitamins and magnificent minerals
These days we're often particularly interested in the vitamin and mineral content of our food, as well as how it tastes and how it can be used in cooking.
Well, watercress truly has a lot to boast about when it comes to its vitamin and mineral content.
For healthy living fans, the high level of Vitamin C in this green leafy treat is sure to be thought of as a plus.
It also boasts Potassium, Calcium and Vitamin B6, to name just three fantastic nutrients.
Getting creative with watercress
Watercress works well as a garnish, or why not try creating a tasty soup from this nutrient-packed delight?
The leaves make an interesting alternative to your usual cuppa when chopped, with recently boiled water poured over them.
And of course in a salad, you'll find that watercress makes a great addition to a variety of ingredients. Why not try it with some radish, to up the peppery taste factor, or with sweeter ingredients like grated carrot, for a great contrast?
Watercress can also be prepared in the blender or juicer, both popular tools for many health fans these days! It works well when whizzed into a smoothie, although if you're looking for a blended treat that is sweet, you might want to add the likes of apple juice, banana or orange juice to your drink, too.
Like many great sorts of natural produce, including oranges, tomatoes and broccoli, watercress could lead to health benefits for you.
It's home to many things which can help with health, like Vitamin B6, which supports the health of the nervous system.
There's also Vitamin C - perhaps the most famous vitamin? - which is good for the skin, not to mention other parts of the body.
Vitamin A, which our bodies are able to make from the beta-carotene found in watercress, has vision benefits, and your teeth and hair as well as your skin could also benefit from it.
People have been known to use watercress in the treatment of catarrh, that irritating excess of mucus that sometimes occurs in the nose or other places and is sometimes linked to allergies or simply having a cold.
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Hi, would it be advisable to use almond oil on acne prone skin. I have a little bit of acne but have lots of dark spots left by acne.
- Ashwagandha benefits for menThanks for this great article. I have begun to take Ashwagandha, and my husband asked if it might be good for him too. Looks like it is, so thank you for the info.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?